The Virtual Private Network is a variation of a remote access service where, instead of direct communication connection between the computers, a tunnel through the public network (Internet) is created and a “point-to -point” type of connection is emulated. The tunnel is a logical connection, that maintains data authentication and encryption.
- Providing a remote access for mobile employees, or ones working at home.
- Creating of a shared extra-net – transforming a part of the LAN network of the organization into an accessible for remote users through VPN connection.
- Connecting two offices with a different location without making a special direct connection for the occasion.
- Security – authentication (verification of the identity of the user and the device) and authorization (access limitations).
- Data protection – encryption.
- Lack of expensive equipment, dedicated lines and support.